Dual monitor setup is simple to configure on modern computers. Windows will automatically detect and configure the displays.
1. Windows 7 or later
2. A Video card with more than one video out connection
3. Two or more displays
Connect the first display to the computer. This display will be considered the Primary display and be marked as display 1. Then, connect the second display to the computer. Make sure that the sources of the displays coincide with the physical connection of the unit. Windows will automatically load the drivers and present an image on all the displays when it has finished. Manual configuration of the connected displays can be done using the steps below.
- Right-click an empty area on your desktop, and then click Screen Resolution.
- Click the Multiple Displays drop-down list, and then select Extend These Displays or Duplicate These Displays.
If you cannot see the additional monitor(s) listed, click Detect. If it does not work, try restarting your computer and repeat steps 1 and 2.
Options for settings
Duplicate these displays: This setting will duplicate your laptop screen image on both monitors based on the monitor with the lower resolution.
Extend these displays: This setting allows you to move a window from one monitor to the other by clicking the title bar of the window and dragging the window to a new location.
Show desktop only on 1: This setting is typically chosen when your laptop is used as a desktop computer so you can enjoy the higher resolution of a large external monitor.
- Click Identify Monitors to see which monitor is number 1 and which is number 2; then drag the monitor icons to reorder their positions to match the physical setup you have chosen.
- Click the Resolution drop down menu, and select a screen resolution by moving the slider arrow right or left; then click OK.
- If the new settings are compatible, your computer screen will reappear with the new settings in place. To change display resolution settings back to the previous setting, hold down the Windows Logo key and press the P key to change the mode to computer only.
- Click Yes if you want to keep the new settings.