The Microsoft Windows background can be adjusted by opening the background display properties. Follow the steps below for your version of Windows.
1. Open the Start menu and select the Settings option on the left-hand side.
2. In the Settings window, click on the Personalization option.
3. Click on the Background option.
4. In the Background window, in the Background section, make sure Picture is selected in the drop-down list.
5. In the Choose your picture section, click the Browse button to select a picture from your computer to use as the desktop background.
6. In the Choose a fit section, select an option for how to display the background.
Windows Vista, 7, and 8
1. Right-click any open part of the desktop screen.
2. Click Personalize.
3. Click Desktop Background.
4. Click Browse.
5. Find the location of the picture you want to use and click OK.
6. Put a check mark in the picture you want to set as the Windows background.
7. Choose from Center, Tile, Fit, Fill or Stretch for the Picture position option, to select how the picture is displayed as the background on the desktop.
8. To do a picture slideshow on your desktop, either choose 'Select all', or hold down Ctrl and choose each picture you want to use. Also, you need to choose how often the picture changes. The time range can be anywhere from 10 seconds to 1 day.
9. Click Save changes to set your selected picture(s) as the new Windows desktop background.
Note: If you have Windows 7 Home Basic or Windows 8 Basic on your computer, the "Personalize" option may be greyed out or not available at all. To change the desktop background, click the Start menu button and type change desktop background in the Search box. In the returned search results, click the "Change desktop background" option. You can then use the steps above, starting with step 3, to change the Windows background.